It’s been over nine months since the COVID-19 pandemic has transformed the world as we knew it. Through this pandemic, the oil sands industry has been an essential service to provide heat and power to our homes, industries, and fuel necessary for transportation.
Health and safety is a top priority for our industry. Since March, 2020 oil sands companies have taken aggressive measures to reduce the risk of COVID-19 exposure and have been following Alberta Health Services (AHS) mandated guidance. Companies have implemented and sustained the following measures:
- Implemented screening questionnaires and procedures.
- Stringent self-isolation protocols
- Implemented physical distancing in the workplace, on buses and flights.
- Enhanced sanitation, workplace hygiene and cleaning.
- Implemented a face covering protocol and require employees to wear masks on flights and buses as well as on site.
As cases increase across Alberta and Canada, implementing and maintaining strict protocols is our biggest priority. Oil sands sites continue to stagger work schedules and operate with mostly essential staff. These protocols outline the many efforts industry is continuously making to keep workers safe and minimize exposure risk to the virus, while ensuring the safe, reliable and continued operation of sites.
Additionally, we have been working with AHS closely and continue to do so, to implement and build upon the measures in place, based on AHS guidance.
Should you have company-specific questions, please contact the company directly.
For more information contact: